Saturday 21 June 2008

Compulsory vocab

I live in a culturally diverse hall of residence. Most of the people who live here come to London to study the Queen's language. Given the level of English these people come here with, I think it is a miracle that they even manage to find their way to this residence hidden away in North London.

Today, while standing in the usual long queue in the dinning room, waiting to be served my 'chicken and mushroom au vol', I had an epiphany. As I stood hearing my housemates, I realised that irrespective of the future-graduates-of-English-languages' ability to describe their mother/fatherland in 5 simple sentences, they do make sure that they come to the UK with a comprehensive vocabulary of popular English slangs. I found that the phrase 'f***ing s**t' a particular favourite amongst them. Of course, several variations of the phrase were liberally used to punctuate their conversation.

No comments: